Attendance & Our School » Policies - Attendance and Absences

Policies - Attendance and Absences

kelly sigl attendance technician

Reporting an Absence

Parents and guardians should call and leave a message on the Attendance Line at (510) 317-5599 before 7:30 a.m. on each day of your absence.  If it's more convenient, you may email Kelly Sigl, our Attendance Technician.
          📩Email Kelly Sigl

Closed Campus

Once you arrive at school, whether you walk to school, ride a bike or bus, or get a ride, you are expected to stay on campus. You must stay on campus for lunch. You may only leave campus if you have checked out properly through the office.



It is your responsibility to be in school every day. Daily school attendance is vital to a student’s academic success. Unless you have symptoms of an illness, you need to be in school. Please schedule medical and dental appointments after school hours. If this is not possible, arrange to attend school before and after the appointment.


REPORTING/VERIFYING ABSENCES - A phone call or a note from your parent, guardian, or doctor must verify all absences.


Your parent or guardian should call and leave a message on the Attendance Line at 317-5504 before 7:30 a.m. on each day of your absence. If your absence has not been verified by a phone call, you need to bring a note to the office before going to your class when you return to school. If students miss school due to a medical or dental appointment, an appointment card from the doctor or dentist is required.


Students who are absent during the school day are not eligible to participate in any student activity that takes place after school on the same day, unless cleared by the administration.

Absences not cleared within three days will be considered "cuts".


Admit Slips - If you have been absent for any reason you must pick up an Admit Slip before 8:00 on the day you return. If you do not, you will be marked tardy and will get a lunch detention.


Excused absences are absences for any of the following reasons: illness, medical or dental appointments, funeral of an immediate family member, study trips or independent study contracts. Any other absences, including family trips or vacations, are considered unexcused.



If you need to be released for an appointment, bring a note to the Attendance Office BEFORE SCHOOL so that an Off-Grounds Pass can be issued.  You must be signed out at the attendance office by a parent or guardian designated on your emergency card before you actually leave campus. Picture ID is required of all adults signing students out.

If you leave campus without permission, it will be considered a cut.



Each student is expected to be in school and in class everyday and on time. School starts at 8:15 a.m. everyday. It is your responsibility to arrive at school on time. However, if you are late arriving to school, you must check in at the Attendance Office for an Admit Slip. Your Admit Slip must be shown to the teacher when you arrive at your classroom.

Students tardy to period 1 will receive lunch detention the day of the tardy. Students tardy to school on Wednesday will serve detention right after school on the same day.




Students who "cut" school or have chronic tardies will be assigned Wednesday extended detention up to 90 minutes.



Any student who is absent from school without a valid excuse more than three days, or is tardy in excess of 30 minutes on each of more than three days in one school year is a truant (California Education Code 48260). This student will be reported to the district Child Welfare and Attendance Office and the parent will be contacted.



Teachers will allow one day of make-up work for each day of excused absence. It is the student’s responsibility to ask the teacher for missed assignments and make-up work.


Homework can be requested for students who are absent due to illness for more than three consecutive days. Please call the main office to request a homework packet for your student and allow 24 hours processing time before coming to pick it up. It is at the teacher’s discretion to provide homework ahead of the absence.

Teachers are not required to provide homework for students serving suspension; however, parents and students may request homework.  Homework must be picked up by a parent or guardian as students serving suspensions are not allowed on campus.  Suspensions or cuts do not get extensions on work, if provided for the days missed.



Independent Study Contracts are official documents and must be filled out in the main office with the attendance clerk.   Parents must request the contract a minimum of ten school days prior to beginning the Independent Study.  Independent Study contracts must be for a minimum of five school days and a maximum of ten school days.